00 – Advanced International Best Practices in Managing Electoral Processes in Today’s Democracy
Registration Discount: $3,900 – You must Register 60 days in advance and payment must be Paid In Full 30 days prior to the start of class.
In 2017, election management bodies (EMBs) around the world were confronted with a number of new challenges: presidential elections in Kenya were declared invalid amidst allegations of problems with the electoral commission’s databases and computers; elections in Papua New Guinea were delayed in some areas due to striking poll workers and concerns about the accuracy of the electoral register; and a commission on voter fraud in the United States was thwarted by state electoral officials refusing to release data.
In response to these challenges, researchers from around the globe have renewed their focus on electoral management issues in both domestic and comparative perspective. This course aims to bring together scholars and practitioners to discuss major challenges in electoral management, and foster new collaborations.
AEMPIN’s International Best Practices in Managing Electoral Processes in Today’s Democracy is key to successful elections in any corner of the world, with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights stating that the will of the ,people, as expressed through periodic and genuine elections, is the basis of legitimate government authority. Interactive learning will support participants’ understanding of the key elements required to effectively manage electoral processes such as electoral integrity, the electoral cycle and logistical considerations. By examining relevant case studies, exploring the duties of electoral bodies and assessing international standards, participants will leave equipped to plan for the management of efficient electoral processes, supported by a sound knowledge of electoral stakeholder needs.
This course will provide electoral management bodies and all individuals involved in the electoral cycle with a clear understanding of the aims, objectives and organizational themes for the successful managing of electoral processes in today’s democracy. Upon completion of this two weeks course and subsequent successful completion of written tasks, the candidate will be awarded an Advance certificate in International Best Practices in Managing Electoral Processes in Today’s Democracy showing the 6 CEU achieved. The professional qualifications offered by the American Empowerment Institute and Texas Southern University are internationally recognized and sought after certifying specialization in the Management of Electoral Processes.
By the end of this course participants will be able to:
• Develop and implement effective electoral processes
• Lead effective organizational change
• Apply the key principles of electoral management to their organization
• Improve capacity and support structures whilst reducing administrative burdens
• Monitor, evaluate and enhance performance
• Deliver services that more precisely meet stakeholder needs
How You Will Benefit:
• Have the opportunity to gain a recognized professional qualification
• Hear the latest insights, research and developments in managing successful electoral processes from leading experts
• Network and share ideas with colleagues from around the world
• Enhance your skills and knowledge in the management of electoral processes
Election Management Bodies, Electoral Security Personnel, Government Organizations, Political Parties, Election Observation Groups, Political Parties, Civil Society Organizations, Media Houses, Regional Economic Communities, International and Non-governmental groups and Other Stakeholders.
A comprehensive analysis of the mechanisms behind the management of electoral processes will be provided, with subjects to be discussed including:
• Elections and Voting as Instruments of Governance
• Electoral Legal and Regulatory Frameworks
• Electoral Management Bodies (EMBs)
• Electoral Systems and Managing Representation
• Understanding and Managing Boundary Delimitation
• Political Parties, Campaigns, and Political Finance
• Electoral Planning and Budgeting
• Voter Registration and Identification Systems
• Electoral Operations
• Marginalized Electorates and Special Voting Program
• Elections and Technology
• Civic and Voter Education
• Media and Elections
• Electoral Integrity and Malpractice
• Electoral Security and Conflict Prevention
• Electoral Crises
• Electoral Justice Systems
• Electoral Observation, Evaluation, and Validation
• Policy Advice and Electoral Reform
PREPARING TOMORROW’S PROFESSIONALS
“Preparing the next generation of election officials, as well as furthering the professional development of existing election administrators, was a key recommendation of the Presidential Commission on Election Administration. Programs like the American Empowerment Institute ‘International Best Practices in Managing Electoral Processes in Today’s Democracy’ will help develop today and tomorrow’s professionals by preparing them to conduct elections in an environment that requires a comprehensive skillset.” —Tammy Patrick, Member, US Presidential Commission on Election Administration.